Sunday, October 27, 2013

40 Book Challenge

Teaching 7th grade Language Arts this year is so exciting! I'm really enjoying interacting with y older students and sharing my passion for reading with them.

Coming into this school year, one of my biggest concerns was being able to convey my love of reading to my students. Sure, I like it but, how do I convince them? Then I read The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller and I was totally inspired!

 
Mrs. Miller is a middle school reading teacher who has achieved great success with her students by requiring voracious reading and allowing students to choose what they read independently. Before I was halfway through the book I knew this was the approach I should be taking in the classroom. This is exactly what worked for me when I was young so I know firsthand what the results can be.

Although the school year was already well underway I decided my students and I couldn't afford to wait any longer. It is imperative that we utilize every moment we have to become lifelong, passionate readers so, at the start of the second quarter I launched the 40 Book Challenge with my seventh grade class. With only a few tweaks from what Mrs. Miller suggests, here is what we are aspiring to read this year:

10 Non-fiction Books
3 Spiritual Books
5 Realistic Fiction Books
5 Historical Fiction Books
5 Fantasy/Sci-Fi Books
2 Poetry Books
10 Student Choice Books.

I think we are all (the students and I) really excited about this challenge and the new approach we are taking to reading class. Be prepared to hear a lot more about what we are doing!



0 comments:

Post a Comment